Friday, May 15, 2015

Happy to Take Out the Trash

It's pretty much expected that once it starts raining, you will have one of two emotions:

"look how pretty it is... I love the smell of rain!" OR "agh CRAP we left the garbage out and now its soaked...."
Can you imagine the two scenes? 
The first is a nice cute little girl frolicking through the rain puddles in cute polkadot gumbo boots havin a grand ole time enjoying the rare change in climate. The second? ...stinky, wet, garbage. And all the other negative poopy words and emotions associated with it. (there's that word poop again..) 
siiiiick.


Well anyway, yesterday we had some rain. I was expecting a "California-perfect-weather-always-so-I-guess-it-can-rain-a-little" type of thing. But really, it was a thunderstorm... a pretty good one too! Thunder crackin, lightning blazin, rain pourin type of storm.
For most Californians, the rain and moisture is appreciated. #drought2k15.
But, for THIS Californian *raises hand*, remembering it was garbage night made the rain nottttt so fun.

Good thing, necessary thing, but I was not a fan. I couldn't control it, and I was a tad annoyed. Me, Me, Me. "Boo rain, I don't want to get wet" "it's so winnnnndy" and other obnoxious complaints...

I always take the trash out; why can't someone else do it? 
(okay, I was home alone so no one else really could... but a girl can dream right?) 
I contemplated just staying inside, cuddling up in a blanket and watching Royal Pains. #NetflixFTW. Dad will come home eventually, so HE can take out the trash ;)
So I was obviously struggling.
Like... this was big time decision making: go out in the rain, or stay inside?
But THEN, I kid you not people... I had this crazy, weird, and extremely profound thought/realization/prompting... ya ready?

--------------> GET OFF YOUR BUTT and do what you gotta do.



... what in the world??
"Kay Brie, seriously? It's only taking out the trash..." 


After the way too major of an internal struggle, I put on my flipflops... left the comfort and warmth of my nicely insulated home, traversed the sludge and puddles, and lugged the trashcan down the driveway. 
And you know what? 
I'm so glad I did. (except I wore flipflops... that was a dumb idea) 

During the walk down the driveway and the return back up to the house... 
I stopped
I know it was only a quick trip to dump the garbage... 
but with the wind blowing and rain pouring, I marveled at my surroundings. 

I was caught in a rare, but blissful moment of clarity. I looked around at the dripping trees and dark sky... the same scene that seemed so unappealing before... but at that moment, it was So. Beautiful.
Not the calm, smooth, perfect type of beauty (doesn't exactly scream Thunderstorm)... but there was a sense of power. 

The power to Cleanse.   Purify.   Renew.

In the intensity and vastness of the storm, 
I was struck --not by lightning thank goodness ;) -- 
but with a resounding life application that seems to keep hitting home in my heart. 
Rain is necessary.


________________________________________________________________________________



In the midst of a sometimes stormy life, we are all given the opportunity to be cleansed. Many times we can stay in the comfort of what we know, and other times we just gotta go out in the rain. 
And sometimes the looming clouds above seem to practically suffocate you as you try to make progress, and you just can't see ahead
OR you wear flip-flops and are completely unprepared, so you get a little more wet than usual. 

But the beautiful thing about the rain--
the cold of loneliness, the soaking of a heavy heart, the longing for better days--

is the transformation that always takes place. 
The surface is eventually cleaned; the roots are nourished; all the impurities are wiped away.
New growth can begin, and along with it, a fresh outlook and perspective.
So it is with our life!  

You could be enjoying a warm sunny day of success, peace, and all things hunky dorey, and then out of nowhere some cloud decides to come rain on your parade. All your fans, support system, and confidence run for shelter, and at that moment, you have two choices: 

Complain about taking out the trash... or rinse off and clean up a little :)

Do you get what I'm sayin to you?????? 

Choose to be the little girl in the gumbo boots, and go out and play in the rain. Or if you don't feel like playing... just remember that the rain is necessary.

The sun always comes out again, and with it comes a new day.



"O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for all things whatsoever ye stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing... and come unto the Lord with all your heart...

Life is Good #yaysun #dork #funny #nofilter


No comments:

Post a Comment