Thursday, February 5, 2015

Brain Supermode!!!

**Note from Dustin: Brie really wants me to edit her emails before I post them because her Spanish keyboard is confusing, and as her mission goes on her English skills will decrease dramatically. However, I've decided not to edit them and to post them exactly as she wrote them. I think it makes it more authentic. You can see her frantic typing, as she only has one hour to write her emails to friends and family, plus I think it'll be fun to watch as her Spanish increasingly takes over her English.**

Hi from Lima, Peru!! I cant believe its been a week already... but at the same time this week has felt like a million billion years.
Weird feeling... the sense of time is pretty much nonexistent now haha.

After 35 pages of journal entries, 7 study manuals, 2 sets of scriptures, and 15hour workdays for ONE week in Peru... and I only have ONE hour to summarize everything??? Here we go, lets test my condensing skills haha.

Here are some FUN FACTS about Peru and what Im doing here.
Its pretty great... gunna be worth your time I promise.


 My first companion, Hermana Mather


What do you get when you travel 3200 miles in over 24hrs, jumping time zones and crossing the equator?
A really really tired, dazed missionary with a huge language barrier and culture shock waiting to smack her in the face.
Yay for new adventures :)

-my brain speaks two languages. Used to be English, now its transitioning to Spanish.. Neither of them fluently... which means I pretty much cant say anything.
Spanglish TO THE MAX.
I say words that Ive completely made up that are combinations of everything going on in my head haha.

-Its currently 81 degrees in Lima with a mildly high percent humidity. AKA im hot. kind of a baby... but im adjusting :) Our training center is right in the middle of the city, and it looks like a paradise! One of the few places in Lima with air conditioning, so when we are in class all day at least its a tad cooler.

-The training center (MTC=CCM: centro de capacitación de misional) has both a grass and sand volleyball court and a turf soccer field. fútbol actually.... and its the real deal here. Callin on my highschool soccer skills erryday when we get a break for Physical Activity… I am the only girl that plays with all the latino boys and they LOVE it!!! Haha. They call me el Champión Hermana.

-Granadias. look em up on google. Its a native fruit with an orange skin, but it peels like a pomegranate. Has little seeds like a pomegranate too... with a consistency of Jell-o and looks like brains. An acquired taste definitely, but when you eat them every meal you get used to it :)

-Mangoes. do you like them in the states? If not, you should. If yes, then all I have to say is: PERU!!!!! Oh my......SO GOOOOOOD! so sticky. so good. again, every meal. so good.

Everyone says the first week in the CCM is the hardest, and I can definitely see that. There is so much crammed into every single day... and even more information we are trying to take in and remmember while simultaneously adjusting to Latin culture, a different climate, and being with our missionary partner (companions, remember?) literally ALL. THE. TIME. Except the bathroom.... but they have to still come with you and wait outside! Lots of reasons for that... power in teaching with two people, safety reasons, etc. Im also pretty sure I need a companion SOLELY for the fact to learn how to be more caring about other people haha. Im so independent that being with someone and asking their opinoni and having to go wherever they want and vice versa is reaaaaaly hard to adjust to. But, its okay :)

Here's my feet after day two…. 
swollen and the color of my shoes rubbed onto them haha! 
no theyre not bruised, and theyre better now :)

LOVE YOU ALL! I am learning and growing SO MUCH!!!! To leave you with a fun feel-good thought, I made up this fun poem thing (not really a poem) about my favorite fruit here in the CCM:

missionary work and mangoes 
Making friends is easy when you care about them as Gods children
Awareness of others feelings helps you feel compassionate
Never give up on always trying to be better
Guidance from the Spirit is REAL. Never underestimate the power of God speaking to you.
Obedience strengthens you
Everyone needs to be loved
Someone needs YOUR message

District 109 January 28th-March 10th 2015 

love you all, thanks for the support and love!!!!
XOXO
HNA Simmons

1 comment: